Technology is developing at lightning speed and it seems we simply cannot remain content with what we have. And, how can we be, when we have virtual reality within our grasp? Well, we might not have reached the level shown in some Sci-Fi movies, but we are certainly making considerable progress. Virtual Reality headset technology is much more advanced and much easily available, making it one of the best techs of 2018.
Types of VR
Before we start talking about the best VR gadgets available, let’s know the difference. Although they seem pretty similar, the VR headsets come in two major variants. There are VR headsets meant for Smartphones and then there are the ones for gaming.
Oculus with its Rift started off as a crowdfunded project and it was the first gadget that introduced us to true VR experience.
- Display – OLED display with a combined resolution of 2160 X 1200 pixel. The refresh rate of 90Hz. It comes with Samsung’s PenTile technology that gives the sharper image.
- Controllers – Oculus touch controllers with an Analogue stick, two face buttons, grip button, trigger and touchpad on each one.
- Earphones/Headphones – This VR set has its own headphones attached that offers amazing sound quality, making it a complete package. Moreover, you can get separate earphones as well.
- Sensors – Oculus Sensors that work similar to the Wii infra-red sensors.
Even though amazing, the Oculus Rift isn’t perfectly compatible with Steam VR. So, those looking forward to trying out every Steam VR game with the Rift might be a bit disappointed.
Arguably the best gaming VR you can lay your hands on at the moment, the HTC Vive comes with a whole lot of features and accessories. The base station is a small cube and can be placed anywhere, and also much more accurate as compared to the Rift. The VR set even comes with a range of extra accessories that enhances user experience.
- Display – OLED display with a combined resolution of 2160 X 1200 Pixel. It got 90Hz refresh rate and has the PenTile technology integrated for better clarity.
- Controllers – The controller has a trackpad and is highly accurate when it comes to motion detection.
- SteamVR – the Vive is completely compatible with SteamVR and you can enjoy every game uninterrupted.
The one major downturn is the price. While being a great VR tech, it is also the costliest one available.
This is indeed one of the best Smartphone VR sets available, provided you own a Samsung Smartphone that is compatible with it. The tech was developed with the help of Oculus and thus comes with the Oculus store that offers better options for gaming as compared to the Google Play Store.
- Display – The entire display is Smartphone dependent and hence you will find the better result with high range Smartphones.
- Controllers – Headset itself has Home and Back buttons placed quite inconspicuously along with a touchpad. The additional hand-held controller has a single trigger and volume buttons.
While this seems like a great VR, this is only compatible with select models of Samsung Smartphones. So, unless you own one, there is no point getting this.
VR seemed like a fad that will fade, but quite clearly it isn’t. It is here to stay and certainly will enhance in future. Just imagine enjoying online casino games with a VR set and it will feel like you are in a real casino enjoying a splendid game!