A kid’s school bag is so much more than just a pack that holds their stuff. It is their space that they can call their own and use it to carry number of things such as their lunch supply, books, and other items.
However, is it really that simple tobuy a school bag for your kids? The answer is no. You need to consider a lot of things to ensure that it not only give you your money’s worth but also keep your kids healthy.
This article will tell you everything you need to know to Shop For Kids School Bags and do it the right way!
Things to Consider when Shopping for Kid’s Backpack
Here are some things you need to keep in mind when you are buying a backpack for your kid:
- Pick the right size: Don’t just willy-nilly choose a large backpack thinking it will go on for several years before you have to buy a new one. An ill-fitted backpack can be a health hazard. A bag too big will hang below their bottom and burden their shoulders. If you are shopping for one online, make sure you measure your child’s back and get a sense of the fit before you make the purchase.
- Comfy straps: The shoulder straps on the child’s backpack should be padded so that they don’t dig into your child’s shoulders. They should also be broad so as to carry the weight proportionately. Always encourage your kid to wear their backpack on both their shoulders.
- Sternum strap: Asternum strap runs horizontally across the chest and keeps the shoulder straps in place to allow even distribution of weight. Find a bag that comes with an adjustable sternum strap that goes over their mid-chest.
- Material: You know your child is going throw their backpack around. Don’t be surprised to see them dragging it on the playground! That being said, this is the reason you must only buy high-quality materials that can stand up to rough handling. Also check the quality of the seams and count the number of stitches per inch. Even if your child outgrows the backpack, it can still be used for a variety of purposes such as storing items, using it as a day pack, etc. Therefore, always insist on using quality material only.
- Watch the weight: A school backpack can be used for anything from carrying books and lunchbox to a laptop and other things. This is why you need to invest in a pack that can carry tons of stuff without giving away to poor stitching or burdening your child’s back with excess weight. Keep the backpack weight no more than 10-12% of your child’s body weight. Just check what they need to carry on a regular basis and teach them how to pack their bags to keep the heaviest items closest to their backs. This technique will keep their pack balanced and avoid strain on their shoulders. Make sure that all the requisite items fit the child’s bag without bursting at the seams.
- Check the zippers: Zippers are the first things to break when a bag is handled roughly. So make sure that the zippers are high quality and will last the test of time.
- Look for other features: The backpack should have other features such as stretchy side pockets for water bottles, padded sleeves to carry laptops and tablets, key clip, waterproofing, rain cover, name spot, etc.
Keeping the Backpack Clean
Spills inside the bag is a common occurrence. From breaking their water bottles to juice containers exploding inside, their tons of things that can go wrong. In that case, you should be able to clean the backpack easily.
Ideally, a good backpack should be washable. You can soak it in warm water and mild soap in your bathtub, scrub out the dirt and then use a sponge or a rag to clean the debris and dust. Hang to air dry to make it usable again.
Keep your Child’s Backpack Light
Now that you know how to buy a backpack, another important thing is to keep it light. Not many parents know this but a heavy school bag can result in back problems in their adult life and also ruin their posture. This is the reason you need to teach your kids to organize their bags properly to keep it light.
As a parent, you need to take all these points into consideration to ensure that your child owns a quality backpack that not only meets their needs but also keeps them healthy through the school years.
Therefore, it is advisable that you follow the tips in this article to keep your little one’s school bag manageable and lighter.