You might not have realized, but most retailers don’t sell their own merchandise. So, from where do they get all their stock? That’s where the wholesalers come into the picture. Not only they are a great source of buying merchandise, but they are important for your business as well. They often support you along the way and they might become a true partner in your success.
To be honest, dealing with a wholesaler for the first time can be a little overwhelming. In this article, we will be sharing all the ins and outs that you need in order to deal with the wholesalers.
What Does It Mean to Buy Wholesale?
Buying clothes from a retailer and wholesaler are two different things. A wholesaler is a middle man between the manufacturer and the retailer. These wholesalers buy products in bulk from the manufacturer, because of that, they are able to sell their goods at a discounted price. But there is a catch, the wholesaler only provides a discount if you are purchasing goods in bulk. On the other hand, retailers buy their goods from a wholesaler and sell at a higher price in order to generate profit.
How to Find a Wholesaler
As mentioned above, buying from a wholesaler for the first time can be tough. There are many wholesalers who try to take advantage of new retailers. But if you know what to look for and where to look, you can find some genuine sellers who will also help your business grow.
One thing you must be aware of is that not every wholesaler serves every market. In fact, some of them sell only a specific type of product, for example, if you are looking for clothing wholesale, you must be clear on what type of clothing you want, is it women’s clothing, men clothes or kids clothes. This will make it much easier for you to choose the right wholesaler for your business.
How to Choose a Wholesaler
The relation between a retailer and wholesaler is quite fragile, so when making a decision about which wholesaler you want to work with, make sure that you keep the best interest of your business at heart. One wrong decision could potentially hurt your business.
Choosing a wholesaler can be a bit confusing. To make things easier for you, we have made a list of points that you can use to find a wholesaler that is best for your business.
- Type of clothing: Search for a wholesaler that supply the clothes according to your need. If you are specialized in selling men’s clothing, then make sure you pick a wholesaler who is also specialized in distributing the latest men apparel.
- Reliability: Pick a wholesaler on whom you rely on. Wholesalers who deliver late, or provide damaged or low-quality goods should be out of your list. You can find more about the wholesaler by conducting some research on their background. You can also contact their previous or current clients to get an idea about how the wholesaler operates.
- Understanding of the product: It is important that you choose a distributor who has the knowledge of the products they are selling. Ask them a few questions about their products, if they give a vague answer or try to avoid your question, it is best you start looking for another wholesaler.
- Price: This is obviously going to be the deciding factor when choosing a wholesaler for your business. The clothes you sell are what bring money into your business. That means, the amount of money you spend on buying the goodwill determines how much profit you are going to make. When choosing a wholesaler, make sure that you are able to generate enough profit.
- Additional factors: Some wholesalers sell a particular amount of goods, this can either be less or more than you need. Less stock means you won’t be able to fulfill the demand, extra stock can lead to wastage of money. So, invest carefully and choose a distributor who meets your needs
Keeping all these points mind, search the supplier’s background before signing any deal with them. Use references to get feedback so that you can ensure that you are dealing with the right wholesaler. Also, look into what they can offer you and what you plan on offering them in return.
Dealing with wholesalers can be tough and confusing in the beginning. Since the clothing industry is one of the highly competitive ones, there are thousands of wholesalers sitting in the market waiting to take advantage of new retailers. But if you are aware and keep the above-mentioned points in mind, you won’t find any trouble in finding a supplier that is best for your business.