So, you are eagerly waiting at the car rental counter and obviously, you are pretty anxious to get on your way. But wait! You have to deal with the ‘pushy” representative who is relentlessly trying to make you understand the benefits of signing up for car rental insurance. Well, that’s important and to some extent beneficial too, but if you have a credit card, you are simply done.
When You Have a Credit Card
As a perk of membership, several credit cards offer some kind of rental car protection. Though they do not cover anything like personal injury or personal liability, the credit card usually covers collision damage and theft protection. Isn’t it enough when you are asking for a rental car just for holidaying with friends? And, if you are having a credit card, you can simply book a rented car online.
However, if you do not have a credit card, you can book a car rental also.
When You don’t have a Credit Card
Many car rental services accept debit cards. So you have to go for a thorough check-up. Here’s what you can do.
- Check if your specific credit card is accepted. There are companies that will only accept debit cards displaying a Visa or MasterCard logo.
- Keep in mind that the policies regarding non-credit card car rentals differ not only from one agency to another but also the policies are different between branches of the same company.
- While booking a car rental, you have to undergo several strict ID verification process and credit check, just to ensure your authenticity and your capability to afford a car rental.
- Also, there will be a certain hold placed on your debit card as long as the rental vehicle is not returned. This is typically between $200 and $500.
- You also need to present the important paperwork, which includes proof of address, insurance coverage, and travel itinerary, if applicable.
- The utility bill in your name is not a valid proof of identification while renting out a car. In that case, you can hand over a debit card with the name of your spouse or parent on it.
- However, the banking account verification and a credit check need some time, so you need to wait sometime when you are renting it without a credit card.
Well, renting out a car is not a big deal if you have the right approach. Whether you have a credit card or not, the booking will be hassle-free if you follow the process carefully.