Regularly visiting a dentist is significant for your health. This is the most common advice for people who suffer from tooth decay. When taking care of their teeth, many people do not consider visiting a dentist and maintaining that by themselves.
The oral problem is one aspect of the human body that most people take for granted. While you don’t need to visit your dentist every day, being proactive in your pursuit of better dental health is vital.
Many dental services can be done once or twice a year, while others require multiple visits more frequently. While some people are okay with going to their dentist every six months, it’s not a regular thing for most people. That being said, it’s essential to know what the dentist does during these appointments and why they are so important. This post will help you with various service nuances of dentistry that you can expect from your local professional.
Who Is a Dentist?
A dental professional is a person who provides dental care. While most people associate dentists with teeth, their job is much more complex. Dental professionals are trained to treat, diagnose and prevent oral diseases, and provide cosmetic dentistry services.
Dentists are the primary dental professionals. They hold a Doctor of Dental Medicine degree (DMD), which takes at least four years of post-secondary education to obtain. Dentists can specialize in one or more areas of dentistry, such as pediatric dentistry or endodontic therapy.
To practice dentistry, a dentist must be licensed to practice where they live. Licensing requirements usually include the following:
- Completion of an accredited dental school program
- Passage of two national exams
- Verification of all other licensing requirements
- An ethics exam
Some provinces require continuing education for license renewal every few years after graduation from dental school to ensure that you keep up with new developments in your field.
Common Services You Can Expect from a Dental Clinic
When you search online for “the best dentist near me,” you can expect the following services from them:
- Cleanings: Cleaning is the most common and vital service dentists provide. Depending on your individual needs, cleanings are performed every six months to two years. A thorough analysis of your gums and teeth is made, and the surfaces of your teeth are polished.
- Fillings: Fillings are used when there is decay in your teeth that other methods cannot restore the tooth’s health. Dentists nowadays use composite fillings instead of amalgam (tooth-colored) because they are better for the patient’s health.
- Wisdom Teeth Removal: Wisdom teeth removal is necessary when wisdom teeth (also called third molars) become impacted or trapped in the jawbone due to lack of space. Depending on your needs, the extraction process is usually done under local anesthesia with IV or oral sedation.
Like most people, you may visit the dentist’s office only when a problem needs to be solved. However, even when experiencing no discomfort, it is essential to visit your dentist regularly because this practice can help prevent significant problems and can do a lot to ensure that your smile is healthy and bright.