Toothache is one of the most common dental complaints occurring without any warning and can be quite painful. You can experience a toothache any time – in the middle of the night or while working.
The sharp and throbbing pain can drive you crazy if you don’t treat it right away. The severity of toothache ranges from mild to agonizing. Some people also suffer from chronic tooth pain that hurts badly. Toothache can be caused by a lack of oral hygiene, which is the reason why you need to brush your teeth twice a day and floss daily.
Your addiction to sweets can be a primary cause of toothache. The bacteria in your mouth crave sugar, and when you have sweets, it turns sugar into acid, which causes tooth pain and overtime the enamel starts wearing off, causing cavities.
If the bacteria reach the dental pulp, it makes its way to the root of the tooth, and the pain is often unbearable, so much so that you want quick remedies.
Thus, some toothache remedies are right at your home and can be found on your kitchen shelf. Natural remedies for toothache not only provide instant relief from tooth pain but also alleviate discomfort.
However, it is important to visit your dentist to find out about the cause of toothache and get it treated. But, for instant relief, you can try these natural remedies.
Home and Natural Remedies for a Toothache
1. Baking Soda
Most people experience swelling along with toothache. Baking soda has natural anti-inflammatory properties that help to relieve pain and swelling. It also has anti-bacterial properties that help in the treatment of gum infection.
- You’ll need baking soda, water, and a cotton ball for this toothache cure.
- Moisten the cotton ball with water and cover the entire ball with baking soda.
- Place it on the affected tooth to alleviate the pain.
- Apply this twice or thrice until you get complete relief.
Baking soda and water are two easily available things. This toothache remedy also cures discomfort related to pain.
2. Ginger Root and Cayenne Pepper
Ginger can aid any type of pain and inflammation, while Cayenne Pepper has capsaicin that is used for pain management.
- You’ll need a small ginger root, cayenne pepper, water, and a cotton ball for toothache relief.
- Powder the ginger root; add cayenne pepper and water to form a thick paste.
- Dip a cotton ball into it until it’s fully covered.
- Now, gently place the cotton ball on your tooth and keep it there for some time.
You can repeat these steps as and when you require them. This natural toothache remedy will provide immediate relief from pain.
You can also boil ginger root with water; sieve it and drink it to alleviate pain.
3. Clove Oil
Clove is the most popular ingredient used for toothache relief. Most ancient traditions have been using clove to treat toothache for centuries. Clove contains antibacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-inflammatory properties.
There is a component in clove oil called Eugenol that acts as a painkiller for toothache. It has strong properties, so the direct application can cause discomfort, which why it should be used in diluted form.
- You’ll need two to three drops of clove oil for application.
- Apply this oil directly on the affected tooth and leave it for fifteen to twenty minutes.
- You can apply clove oil three to four times a day for toothache relief.
4. Oregano Oil
Oregano oil effectively kills the bacteria that cause tooth pain. It has anti-inflammatory properties that reduce swelling and inflammation caused by toothache. It is also rich in a component known as carvacrol that helps fix a toothache.
- You’ll need oregano oil and a Q-tip for application.
- Use the Q-tip and apply the oil to the affected area (tooth).
- Leave it for some time and then rinse your mouth.
You can reapply this oil after some time.
Note, the smell can be strong so you need to have patience with this natural cure.
5. Vanilla Extract
If you want instant relief from a toothache, then you should be trying this remedy. Vanilla extract has antiseptic and analgesic properties that will provide relief from agonizing toothache.
- You’ll need two to three drops of vanilla extract and a cotton ball for the application.
- Dip a cotton ball in the extract and apply it directly to the affected tooth.
- You need to keep this in place for some time and then, reapply it as and when you require to ease the pain.
This natural cure works in a great way to provide instant respite from tooth pain. And, you thought vanilla extract is just for your puddings and desserts.
6. Hydrogen Peroxide
Do you have hydrogen peroxide at home? Then it’s the best pain relief for toothache. It will ease the infection and reduce the discomfort. It is best suited for an infected tooth that causes a foul odour in your mouth.
- You’ll need about 3% hydrogen peroxide.
- Rinse your mouth with hydrogen peroxide thoroughly, after which you need to rinse your mouth with water to get rid of the smell.
- You can repeat the process, as and when you require, to get rid of your toothache naturally.
*Note: This is a temporary solution for toothache, so you’ll need to visit a dentist to know more about the actual cause of pain.
Regular kitchen ingredient coriander can also give you relief from toothache. Coriander has anti-bacterial properties that make it an ideal solution to treat mouth ulcers and tooth pain. It also helps alleviate swelling related to severe toothache.
- You’ll need one or two tablespoons of coriander seeds and 4 litres of water.
- Boil the seeds with water until there’s only one litre left more like concentrated decoct.
- Now, use this as a mouth rinse to stop tooth pain.
This remedy also provides tooth nerve pain relief. Repeat if required by heating a bit, as it’ll help to activate its healing properties. You can also use coriander powder instead of coriander seeds.
8. Virgin Olive Oil
Virgin olive oil has anti-inflammatory properties and is rich in phenolic compounds. It not only helps to relieve tooth pain but also provides relief from the discomfort caused by toothache. The oil is also effective in reducing inflammation caused by an infection.
- You’ll need one tablespoon of virgin olive oil and a cotton ball.
- Dip the cotton ball in the oil and apply it to the tooth.
- Let it stay for some time and then rinse your mouth with water. You can repeat this process two to three times.
9. Cold Compress
Cold compress causes the blood vessels in the area to constrict. Most people use this effective remedy for toothache, as it makes the pain less severe and provides instant toothache relief.
- You’ll need an ice bag or a towel-wrapped bag of ice for this.
- Hold the bag of ice to the affected area for about twenty minutes.
- Repeat this after every two hours for quick relief.
A cold compress helps to reduce the swelling and inflammation caused by toothache. It provides instant relief from gum infections. It is also an effective remedy that is frequently used during dental emergencies.
10. Cinnamon and Honey
Cinnamon has anti-microbial properties and acts as a mild pain reliever. Cinnamon bark effectively prevents tooth decay and eases gum related problems. Honey has anti-bacterial properties that combat sensitivity and toothache.
- You’ll need one teaspoon of cinnamon powder and one teaspoon of honey.
- Mix it and rub a small amount directly to the affected tooth.
- Repeat this process several times a day until the pain recedes.
Honey and cinnamon also reduce the inflammation caused by toothache.
Home remedies and natural cures can provide you with temporary relief from the pain caused by toothache. If your toothache is severe, then it can be a result of a more serious medical condition. Read this blog to know how your dental health affects you.
Most toothaches may not require immediate medical attention. But, you should visit your dentist if you experience abnormally red gums, fever, pus, swelling, trouble in swallowing food, and general pain that lasts more than two days.
You should talk to your dentist if you have any pre-medical condition or if you’re pregnant as herbal ingredients may impact you. Also, it is best that you pay heed to preventive dentistry to avoid any dental issues.